DADDY & PAPA explores the growing phenomenon of gay fatherhood and its impact on American culture. Through the stories of four different families, DADDY & PAPA delves into some of the particular challenges facing gay men who decide to become dads. From surrogacy, foster care, and interracial adoption, to the complexities of gay marriage and divorce, to the battle for full legal status as parents, DADDY & PAPA presents a revealing look at some of the gay fathers who are breaking new ground in the ever-changing landscape of the American family.
- NATIONAL EMMY NOMINATION – Best Documentary
- GRAND JURY PRIZE NOMINEE – Sundance Film Festival
- GOLDEN GATE AWARD – Best First Person Documentary, San Francisco International Film Festival
- AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST DOCUMENTARY – Florida Film Festival
- BEST FILM – Runner up, Cleveland International Film Festival
- DOCUMENTARY MOST LIKELY TO CHANGE THE WORLD – Detroit Docs Film Festival
- AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST DOCUMENTARY – 1st Runner Up, Seattle Int’l Film Festival
- BREAKING THE MOLD AWARD – Newport Film Festival
- BEST DOCUMENTARY – Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
- OUTSTANDING DOCUMENTARY NOMINEE – GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) Media Awards
- BEST FEATURE DOCUMENTARY – Honorary Mention Oakland International Film Festival
- BEST DOCUMENTARY – Dallas OUTTakes
- BEST DOCUMENTARY – Connecticut Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- BEST DOCUMENTARY – University of Oregon Queer Film Festival
- AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST DOCUMENTARY – Portland Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
- AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST FEATURE – Out at the Movies
- AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST INDEPENDENT DOCUMENTARY – ImageOut/Rochester Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
- AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST FILM, AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST DOCUMENTARY – Orinda Film Festival
- SILVER CERTIFICATE OF MERIT – Prix Leonardo
- BEST DOCUMENTARY – North Carolina Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION INPUT – (International Public Television) Conference, Aarhus, Denmark
- SPECIAL MENTION – Icelandic Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
— Stephen Holden, The New York Times
DADDY & PAPA…is loaded with humor.
— Michael Logan, TV Guide
These men…are eloquent about both the richness of family life and the stereotypes that they have to confront.
— The New Yorker
A superb presentation…DADDY & PAPA illustrates the critical importance of children having loving and caring parents, whether they be traditional or gay. The gay men portrayed here realize they can do an even better job as parents by embracing cross-cultural sensitivity when raising children from a different ethnic or racial background.
— Alvin F. Poussaint, MD, Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School